Re: [EPP-discuss] Draft EPP Specification rev. 1.0 and invitation to meeting/workshop

From: Jonas B. Nielsen <jonasbn_at_dk-hostmaster.dk>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:26:18 +0100

Hi Teddy,

See below,

On 01/11/2012, at 15.09, Teddy Hogeborn <teddy.h+dk-epp_at_nmugroup.com> wrote:

> "Jonas B. Nielsen" <jonasbn_at_dk-hostmaster.dk> writes:
>
>> Thanks for your very insightful response. I have changed our XSD
>> implementation to reflect your suggestions, I have however run into
>> some minor issues.
>>
>> If you take an example of creating a host object:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <epp xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0 epp-1.0.xsd">
>
> Side note: you could skip the xsi:schemaLocation (and therefore also the
> xmlns:xsi attribute); it's unnecessary for EPP clients.

I will consider that

>> <command>
>> <create>
>> <host:create xmlns:host="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:host-1.0" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:host-1.0 host-1.0.xsd">
>> <host:name>ns2.eriktester.dk</host:name>
>> <host:addr ip="v4">127.0.0.1</host:addr>
>> <host:addr ip="v6">0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1</host:addr>
>> </host:create>
>> </create>
>> <extension>
>> <dkhm-host:responsible xmlns:dkhm-host="urn:dkhm:params:xml:ns:dkhm-host-1.0" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:dkhm:params:xml:ns:dkhm-host-1.0 dkhm-host-1.0.xsd">TEST1234-DK</dkhm-host:responsible>
>> </extension>
>> <clTRID>6d5367c0ac54b1be06d60e385866f8c9</clTRID>
>> </command>
>> </epp>
>>
>> Our extension is the dkhm-host:responsible specified in the extension
>> segment.
>>
>> In your own (dkhm-host-1.0.xsd), do you specify a createType or do you
>> specify and extension.
>
> Don't try to modify the existing createType; just specify your own types
> and elements, and then use them in the <epp:extension> element.
>
>> I have seen examples of both, but our validator keeps complaining
>> about the dkhm-host:responsible object.
>>
>> XML parsing failed xmlns:dkhm-host: 'urn:dkhm:params:xml:ns:dkhm-host-1.0 xsi:schemaLocation="urn:dkhm:params:xml:ns:dkhm-host-1.0 dkhm-host-1.0.xsd"' is not a valid URI
>
> The problem of mapping URIs to schema file locations is up to the
> validator, and should not be an issue for disussion here.

Well we do validation of all requests received, incoming for production and incoming and outgoing for development

>> Currently my XSD look as follows:
>>
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>> <schema targetNamespace="urn:dkhm:params:xml:ns:dkhm-host-1.0"
>> xmlns:dkhm-host="urn:dkhm:params:xml:ns:dkhm-host-1.0"
>> xmlns:eppcom="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:eppcom-1.0"
>> xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>> elementFormDefault="qualified">
> [...]
>> <!--
>> Child elements found in EPP commands.
>> -->
>> <element name="create" type="dkhm-host:createType" />
>
> Won't that specify a <dkhm-host:create> element? I don't see why you
> would want to do that. If your aim was to alter the <host:create>
> element, you:
>
> 1. Probably don't need to do that. Why do you want to?

this works for now I will see if I can boil it further down, this resembles the schema for the ccTLD .no pretty closely.

> 2. Should probably be refering to its name in the correct namespace by
> writing name="host:create" and adding
> xmlns:host="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:host-1.0" to the root element.

got it to work

> 3. Probably must use the XML Schema <restriction> element.

I am experiencing issues with this for complexTypes, but it might be me.

>> <!--<element name="extension">
>> <complexType>
>> <choice>
>> <element name="responsible" type="dkhm-host:responsible" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" />
>> </choice> </complexType>
>> </element>-->
>
> I would think that this (commented out) section should be omitted
> completely. As far as I know, the contents of <epp:extension> elements
> should not be subject to validation.

yeah, that was just an experiment

> [...]
>> <!--
>> Child elements of the <create> command.
>> -->
>> <complexType name="createType">
>> <sequence>
>> <element name="responsible" type="dkhm-host:responsible" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" />
>> </sequence>
>> </complexType>
>> <!--
>> End of schema.
>> -->
>> </schema>
>
> This type, as far as I can tell, is only used by the unused
> <dkhm-host:create> element.
>
> Anyway, I am far from an XML and XML Schema expert, and have probably
> more than exhausted my expertise in this reply. I would be delighted to
> have more people weigh in with more opinions.

Neither am I :-)