Re: [EPP-discuss] EPP funktioner / EPP features

From: Ashley La Bolle | EPAG Domainservices GmbH <al_at_epag.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:09:13 +0100

Hi all,

I already responded directly to DK Hostmaster on this but figured I
could post my response here to open up discussion!

For us, the major issue that we run into with the current DK systems is
that the management of domains after registration is almost completely
manual. We have clients with a large number of DK domains in their
portfolios (since the registration is automated), but after
registration, all changes have to be made manually. This requires a
large time investment and in the end increases costs. At the top of our
list is the management of contacts and nameservers on existing domains.
When I refer to managing contacts I mean both updating the contact
details within a contact as well as attaching a new contact to a domain.
The sooner we can bring these processes to standard EPP, the better.

Especially important for any changes to the renewal command is that we
receive notice well in advance of any changes. We are very much in favor
of implementing a renewal command but these kinds of changes can require
a lot of recoding for some systems. With the large amount of development
work already required for ICANN compliancy and New gTLDs, we would
prefer at least 2 months advanced notice (including a detailed
description of the changes) before any changes to the renewal structure
are implemented.

+1 to Patrik's first point: Since we offer DK domains as a registrar, we
often run into issues with the logic of the domain roles. The best
example here is that of billing. We are the billing contact for our
client's domains. The registrant however has the right to make changes
to the billing term of their domain. Therefore the client can change the
billing term to 5 years and to our knowledge the billing term is still
set to one year. The registrant then gets 4 years of renewals at our
expense. We have to manually proof the billing terms to try to make sure
the client is billed for the proper term. We'd prefer that only the
billing contact could modify the registration term.

We haven't seen much interest in DNSSEC. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing
that implemented last!

This wasn't in the list of upcoming changes, but I would love to have a
place in our registry account where I can log in to view:
- recent changes/patches/known bugs including any new technical manuals
- the timeline for upcoming changes and a description of what to expect
- current and planned maintenance or outages on registry systems - for
both live and sandbox environments.

Cheers,
Ashley