RE: [EPP-discuss] EPP funktioner / EPP features

From: Tom Sommer - Zitcom A/S <ts_at_zitcom.dk>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:59:50 +0000

I agree. I too was puzzled when I read that section.

We have been sitting at meetings for years, begging for new features and functions to improve the TLD.
The result has been silence, delays, confusion or solutions that does not solve the problems we originally raised (præ-aktivering anyone?).
A half-hearted EPP system that has bugs and missing features. An unwillingness to move away from old technologies to please the few (insecure e-mail registration, anyone?). DK-Hostmaster has proved nothing but ineffective over recent years. Things are killed by bureaucracy and delayed by indecisiveness. It is still all just a lot of talking.

I understand many of the features we request, are a problem because .DK is on a strict sole-registry model.
One "quick" solution, is to grant more power to the registrar (well, "navneserveransvarlige"), power that compare (within limits) to the ones we have in a shared-registry.
It IS possible to run a sole-registry model with these limited extra powers. The customers are still in complete control of their domains. They can still renew and transfer them independently of us, but we also have power to renew their domains and you just bill us instead when we do. Boom, done.
Another solution is obviously to move to the shared-registry model. Despite the possible drawbacks, this model has proven to work. With a strong governing body behind it, there should not be an issue.

Perhaps we need to stop talking about features and start talking about changing the business model. It is possible, .SE did an excellent job.
We backed the sole-registry model back in 2008 when it was up for discussion - this is slowly proving a mistake, one we will not repeat.

Change or be changed.

Regards
--
Tom Sommer